If you want to escape from Athens, Loutraki, a seaside town in the Peloponnese, only one hour away from Athens by car, is the ideal destination for you, also accessible by bus and the suburban train. But what makes Loutraki so special?
We love Loutraki for many reasons:
- It is close to the Greek capital, so you can easily get to it by car in about an hour when you visit Athens. The route to north Peloponnese is beautiful, so drive is also enjoyable. Just wear your sunglasses and enjoy the beauty of the Greek landscape.
- Loutraki has great nightlife, especially in summer. There are many beach bars along the length of the central road, as well as restaurants and cafes with tables by the sea, where you can enjoy your coffee or ice cream while staring at the endless Greek sea.
- There is plenty of choice for accommodation in Loutraki, such as hotels and rooms to let. Depending on your budget, you can either stay at a place next to the beach or book a room in a hotel placed on the main road.
The landscape of Heraion lake - credits: photo stella/Shutterstock.com
- Loutraki has a long story in the spa and thermalism facilities. The water derived from the Loutraki natural thermal springs has been characterized as “The Water of Life” since antiquity. Today, Loutraki Thermal Spa is the best place to relax while enjoying a massage session or a hydromassage in an individual bathtub into your private cabin.
- Loutraki is also great for those who love trekking. There are some great trekking routes up the Geraneia mountain, or from Sterna to the lighthouse of Heraion.
- It is also the best choice for all of you that like to gamble from time to time. Club Hotel Casino Loutraki is the biggest casino in Greece, as well as one of the biggest casinos in Europe, but also a fantastic 5* hotel, offering the perfect setting of relaxation.
A hidden gem: Limni Vouliagmeni
Loutraki beach - credits: konstantinks/Shutterstock.com
Limni Vouliagmeni is a great place to swim and taste the luscious flavors of a traditional Greek meal by the sea. To find and explore this secret spot, just drive from Loutraki via the seaside road, following the signs to Perachora and then, to Limni Vouliagmenis. Limni Vouliagmeni's waters communicate with the waters of the Corinthian Gulf from a very narrow channel in its southern part, but it is a great swimming spot, as you can choose to lay down either at one of the sun lounges of the organized beach or on the sandy coast by yourself.
Cape Heraion is only 3 km away and is worth visiting, as it combines the beauty of ancient Corinthian civilization with the crystal-clear waters of a small beach next to it. The Heraion of Perachora was a sanctuary of the goddess Hera. The ruins placed next to the beach belong to the temple of Hera Limenaia.
Have you ever visited Loutraki? Leave a comment to share more tips and opinions (or even photos) n regard to this great -and lesser known- region of Greece!