Get hands-on with Crete’s traditions and culture by joining a culinary journey through Chania’s most traditional recipes!
Authentic Cretan Cooking Class in Chania including transfers
Get to know the Mediterranean diet first-hand in a tour filled with delicious Cretan dishes from hundred-year-old recipes passed down through generations. Discover the tastiest and most nutritious cuisine in the world, get your hands dirty and enjoy the fruits of your labors!
Being the biggest island in Greece, Crete is known for its breathtaking beauty and distinctive cuisine. Join us on a trip to flavorville, also known as the town of Chania, to discover the smell and taste of Crete through a cooking lesson designed just for you!
With a local’s kitchen at the high peaks of the White Mountains as your setting, cook some of the most popular Cretan dishes, made with fresh, organic ingredients grown in the Cretan land. Extra-virgin olive oil, fresh vegetables hand-picked from the garden, local meat, dairy products and the most aromatic of herbs, will be used to create mouth-watering delicacies. The main course will consist of the traditional Greek recipe of 'gemista', which is a dish of tomatoes and other vegetables stuffed with herbed rice, a delicious meal that both vegetarians and meat-eaters love!
Next, you will be served delightful, aromatic Cretan wine, complemented with a variety of local cheeses. A feast for both your mouth and your eyes, you will be able to enjoy the Cretan goods along with an exquisite view of the Cretan mountains. After you have relished the wine and cheese, prepare some traditional appetizers, such as ‘dakos’, ‘tzatziki’ and the widely held Cretan cheese-pies ‘kaltsounia’. Once you’re done with your appetizers, it will be time to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Taste your own creations, accompanied by sumptuous local wine and try some traditional fruit preserves for dessert.
The long life-span of Cretans is often attributed to their gastronomic culture. After your cooking class in Chania, you can put this theory to the test form the comfort of your own home; pretty cool, right?
What you will taste on this tour:
- ‘Gemista’- tomatoes and other vegetables stuffed with herbed rice
- ‘Dakos’- Cretan meze consisting of a slice of soaked dried barley rusk topped with chopped tomatoes and crumbled feta or mizithra cheese
- ‘Tzatziki’- dip made from salted strained yogurt mixed with cucumbers and herbs
- ‘Kaltsounia’- Cretan cheese-pies
- Local cheeses
- Fruit preserves
- Cretan wine varieties
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off with a modern minivan
- English speaking, local driver/guide
- A hands-on cooking class of traditional Cretan recipes
- Wine and food tastings during the class
- A Cretan feast prepared by your own hands
- Commemorative gifts
- All recipes and photos that were taken on tour sent via email
- All taxes and VAT
- Any additional orders or purchases
Customize your Tour
What a warm & wonderful experience! Our host, Yiannis could not have been any more gracious or knowledgeable about his Greek history, and the food we all helped to prepare was delicious!! Terrific way to spend a late afternoon into evening in Chania.