Tick two of Greece’s most famous spots off your bucket list; mind-blowing Meteora & mysterious Delphi, where tales as old as time are waiting to be told.
Meteora & Delphi Splendour
Come with us to some of the most beautiful and unspoilt areas of Greece. From the incredible monasteries of Meteora, the wonders of spiritual Delphi, fairytale towns such as Arachova and dramatic scenery that will leave you speechless this is your chance, in as little as 5 days, to see a Greece that is verdant, mountainous and steeped in centuries of learning, aspiration and worship both spiritual and religious. Carefully designed by our in-house travel experts and historians and led by expert guides and archaeologists, this experience will educate and inspire whilst giving you the opportunity to switch off and escape to the tranquility of nature. We take care of the details so that you can focus on enjoying a journey full of sweeping landscapes, impossibly majestic architecture and authentic, traditional culinary offerings.
- A perfect package for those looking to get back to nature, lovers of history, architecture, those interested in religion and anyone who truly wants to unwind in the most spectacular scenery Central Greece has to offer!
- You will be joined by expert guides, archaeologists and historians who will add context and meaning to the wonders that you will see.
- An opportunity to discover the natural landscapes of this dynamic land!
- Let us take care of the itinerary. Our team research and personally visit each of the places we take you to so that we design an itinerary that is the perfect balance of relaxation and sightseeing.
Beginning in Athens, with an evening in the ancient city, the following day board a train bound for the mountainous region of Meteora and relax as you take in scenic views of Central Greece. From here on in it’s time for you to escape from the outside world and join us on a journey in time to the days of Byzantine rule and the rituals of Orthodox Greece. See the teetering monasteries of Rousanou, Agios Stefanos, Varlaam and Agia Triada -one the James Bond fans amongst you may recognise.. these monasteries are set in the most dramatic of landscapes which cry out to be explored. Whether its a leisurely stroll, a ride on horseback or a refreshing mountain hike (season dependent) immerse yourself in the heartbreaking beauty of Mount Koziaka.
The centrepiece of our itinerary is one that will surely leave an indelible impression, the spiritual heart of ancient Greece: Delphi. With our expert guide and archaeologist discover the wonders of the ancient world such as the Temple of Apollo, once home to a legendary oracle, the Theatre of Delphi and see ancient treasures at the archaeological museum. Breath in the mountain air of Mount Parnassus as you take in this most special of sites.
From the picturesque stone-walled streets of Arachova to the mountainous village of Pavliani discover the rural wilds and charms of this mysterious region. Discover the glories of empires past such as Osios Loukas monasterywith its terracotta exterior and ornate halls, just one of the many architectural feats you will see. Not only for the history buffs and mythology seekers, our local experts have sought out the very best tavernas, cafes and local eateries for the most discerning of foodie travellers, to give you a taste of this region’s rich culinary offerings. Flexible as always, we offer plenty of extras to choose from- why not indulge in a little wine tasting of an afternoon? Or shopping for some truly unique pieces to remember this once-in-a-lifetime journey to the heart of rural and spiritual Greece.
- Accommodation in 4-5* Hotels, Unique Traditional Guesthouses and Boutique Hotels
- All guided tours to the aforementioned archaeological sites with an excellent licensed guide & archaeologist
- Tour leader guides as per itinerary
- Private / semi-Private Tours as per itinerary
- All transfers with a luxury A/C vehicle
- Archeological Sites & Museum entry fees
- Meals unless mentioned in the itinerary
- Optional activities not included in the itinerary
- All personal expenses, beverages, phone calls and laundry not detailed in the itinerary
- Drinks that are not included in tastings or the itinerary
- International flights
- Excess baggage charges, visa & passport fees
- Personal travel insurance
- Gratuities (which we leave to your discretion) to local guides, licensed guides of ancient sites & private transport drivers
Your Trip at a glance
DAY 1 (Athens)
- Transfer from Athens Airport to your hotel
- Athens Evening Highlights Walking Tour & Welcome Dinner
- Free Evening
DAY 2 (Athens - Meteora)
- Transfer from Hotel to train station / Train from Athens to Kalabaka (Meteora)
- Transfer from train station to hotel (During winter, tours start straight from the train station)
- Short break (during summer)
- Sunset Tour of Meteora & free evening
DAY 3 (Kalabaka)
- Hotel Pick up / Morning Guided Tour at Aspropotamos RIver OR Pertouli (Mt Koziakas)
- Return to hotel / Free afternoon & evening
Options for this day are dependent on season but include; trip to Aspropotamos River, horse riding in Elati or visiting the villages of Palaiokaria & Neraidochori.
DAY 4 (Kalabaka, Delphi & Arachova)
- Transfer from Kalabaka to Pavliani village
- Lunch break at Pavliani village
- Transfer from Pavliani to hotel in Arachova
- Free time at Arachova town - Transfer to Delphi
- Guided tour of Archaeological site and Museum of Delphi
- Relaxed walk & dinner in Galaxidi town - Return to Arachova
DAY 5 (Return to Athens)
- Transfer from Arachova to Monastery of Osios Loukas
- Visit the Monastery of Osios Loukas
- Drive to Livadeia - Lunch Break
- Transfer to Athens Airport/ Athens Hotel
Please note this is the summer itinerary. Contact us for details on the winter itinerary which has some amendments.
What is the tour language?
The tour is available in English.
Is this a physically demanding tour?
This is a fairly active tour with steep steps to the Meteora monasteries and a possible light hike during one of the days. It is therefore advised that you participate in this tour, only if you are reasonably fit.
I am a vegetarian, can I still do this tour?
Of course. As a private experience we can tailor this foodie journey to suit your needs. Plus Greek cuisine, especially traditional dishes, are often naturally vegetarian anyway! For vegans it can be a little trickier but we will do our best to provide substitutions where needed
I have allergies, can I still do this tour?
We will do our best to ensure that allergies are catered for. However for those with severe allergies, as much of this tour is to rural areas and a range of different establishments we cannot guarantee complete avoidance. Please let us know of your particular situation and we will discuss further options.
Is this a child friendly tour?
Although all our tours are child friendly as this tour does include considerable travel with a focus on religious and cultural heritage of sites it may be unsuitable for very young children. However, as a private experience we are able to tailor the itinerary accordingly and add more activities like horse riding which may be more appealing to children.
Do we have to stick rigidly to the itinerary?
We have designed this itinerary specifically to ensure you experience a range of places, see authentic establishments and also have plenty of time to relax. However, if there’s something you’d like to change let us know- we’re all about flexibility!
What is the weather like in mountainous Greece?
This is of course dependent on the season that you travel in. In general, it is cooler than the weather on the islands or by the coast. In summer, however, it is still hot so pack accordingly. In winter the temperatures do drop significantly. Contact us for further guidance closer to your time of travel.
Are we travelling with a guide all the time?
This program is designed to utilise local guides where necessary to make sure you make most of the destinations you visit and help you with any local inquires. However, this is a private trip where most of the days you will travel in an assigned transfer vehicle with a driver, but not necessarily accompanied by a guide. Your itinerary will be very clear of such arrangements.
Can I purchase this as a self-drive package?
Yes, this can be arranged. You will simply meet our guides at each site/ establishment. Should you so wish we can arrange car hire for you or you can make these arrangements independently.