Are you celebrating the end of the year in the Mediterranean and wondering what the weather in Greece in December is like? Firstly, you’ve made a great choice!
If you’re someone who loves doing cold-weather activities, you’ll enjoy exploring popular sights in Greece. Not only would you avoid the large crowds, but you'll also pay lower prices for your travel and accommodation. Doesn’t that sound like a great deal?
In this guide, we present you with a few travel ideas on how you can explore Greece in December. Let’s dive in.
Greece Weather in December
So. Is Greece warm in December, or is it cold? Well, it’s not freezing, but you certainly want to pack a warm jacket with you.
Average temperatures in Greece in January and December are comfortable, but it can get chilly. The sky is usually cloudy, with an average of 11 days of average rainfall throughout the month.
Greece in winter brings mild temperatures that fluctuate between highs of 57°F and lows of 48°F. According to weather data, you can expect the average temperature in Greece in December to hover around 54°F, although the coastal areas may have an increased wind speed.
Not to mention that northern regions like Thessaloniki, Greece's second-largest city, are even colder.
Weather in Athens, Greece, in December
We don’t have to say this, but to reiterate, Athens is a wonderful place to visit in Greece, with welcoming weather conditions all year round. The capital boasts several historical treasures, and an Acropolis tour is never far from reach.
You’ll find plenty of things to do in Athens in December while enjoying the significantly fewer crowds that flood the country during the summer months of the peak season, and the cherry on top is, of course, the shimmering Christmas Markets, which are some of the most popular destinations in the city during that time!
The weather in Athens when visiting Greece in December is consistent with temperatures across the country, so you can expect the weather in Athens in December to be around 54°F.
Things to do when you visit Athens in December:
- One of the best Athens experiences is to climb up the Acropolis of Athens for panoramic views of the city.
- Wander around the tiny yet scenic village of Anafiotika, one of the prettiest Athens neighborhoods with amazing spots for photos.
- Visit Syntagma Square for a stroll through history.
- Enjoy outstanding Greek cuisine at some of the best restaurants for fine dining in Athens.
Weather in Santorini, Greece, in December
After Athens, Santorini is the most visited part of Greece. Santorini weather in December ranges between mild and cool days. The lowest temperature you can expect is around 52°F, while the highest is 61°F.
Santorini’s December weather allows you to enjoy unusual pleasures like strolling along an empty beachfront.
You’ll also love marveling at the blue-domed churches and exploring several other attractions on your Santorini itinerary without a tourist in sight.
Things to do in Santorini in December:
- Take a Santorini catamaran cruise at sunset for spectacular views of the island and the Aegean Sea.
- Eat your way through the island’s best restaurants with our ultimate Santorini food guide.
- Wine tasting is another popular activity in Santorini, so don't miss out and book yourself a wine-tasting experience complete with a mesmerizing sunset.
- You cannot visit this island and leave without seeing the unique Santorini caldera up close; it tops the list of things to do in Santorini.
- Explore the beautiful town of Oia — this picturesque cliffside village features in many Santorini postcards (if not all of them).
Weather in Mykonos in December
Mykonos is a popular Greek island often loved for its buzzing nightlife, historic sites, and windmills. The weather in December may be a little too chilly to enjoy the pebble-stone beaches of Mykonos. But there are still plenty of other attractions for you to explore.
You should expect Mykonos’ weather in December to range between 49°F and a maximum temperature of 57°F. So it's a good idea to keep this in mind when adding activities to your Mykonos itinerary.
Things to do in Mykonos in December:
- Take a sailing trip to Delos to discover the ancient ruins and hidden gems in the birthplace of the twin gods Apollo and Artemis.
- Winter is the best time to visit Mykonos for uninterrupted tours (and pictures) of the island’s iconic windmills.
- Go on a jeep safari and enjoy brief stops at Mykonos’ treasures, like the village of Ano Mera.
- On a couple’s trip? Saunter around Little Venice’s cobblestone alleyways, exploring its quaint cafes and restaurants. This unforgettable romantic excursion is one of plenty things to do in Mykonos for couples.
Weather in Crete in December
Like all the other places covered on this list, Crete is one of the best places to visit in Greece in winter.
You may come across several tourist establishments closed during this time, but Crete is the biggest and most populated of the Greek islands. This means plenty of tavernas, museums, and lots of things to do in Crete are available all year round.
Crete weather in December has cooler temperatures, it is cloudy and overcast, with the exception of a few sunny days when the sky opens up for an extended period. You can expect Crete's December weather to fluctuate between 50°F and 60°F on any given day.
Things to do in Crete in December:
- Visit some of the most impressive ruins and archeological sites in Crete, from Heraklion Museum to Knossos Palace.
- Stop by the Archaeological Museum of Rethymno to get a glimpse of artifacts and relics from the 17th century onwards.
- Enjoy strolling through a fun Christmas market in Heraklion.
- Visit a local taverna for a gastronomic adventure of Greek cuisine; enroll in a Cretan cooking class if you don’t mind getting your hands dirty.
- A wine and olive oil tour is the best way to learn about the intriguing history of Crete’s world-renowned wine and olive oil tradition.
- Hiking is also a great excursion to go on in December, as most trails are open all year round.
Is December a good time to travel to Greece?
Greece in December is a gorgeous destination, especially for those who don't like heat and when planning budget-friendly trips. With the mild temperatures of Greece in winter, you can experience everything you want without getting swamped by large tourist crowds and without dripping sweat.
Is Greece still hot in December?
Greece in December is not hot despite being warmer than most European cities. The temperature depends on where you stay, but overall averages are about 12 degrees.
The temperature can become warmer during the day, enabling you to enjoy the sights and the exciting nightlife of all the major cities and vacation resorts.
How hot is Santorini in December?
The island in December is mild to cool at best, and sporadic rainfall and windspeed increase. Moreover, most tourist infrastructure is closed for the season, and the island is mostly empty.
What is the warmest Greek island in December?
Greece's largest island, Crete, is mildly dry throughout winter and boasts among the warmest winter temperatures in Europe. It is the warmest Greek island in December and one of the few Greek islands that are worth visiting all year round.
Final Thoughts on Weather in Greece in December
The temperature in Greece in December may not be conducive to typical activities you’d usually visit Greece to enjoy. But that’s not an indicator of what’s truly in store.
Greece in December has chilly yet warm winter days, allowing you to explore the best of this incredible country. Picture things like archeological sites and museums to tavernas and charming villages.
The weather in Greece in December typically ranges between 48°F and a maximum temperature of 57°F. This is crucial to keep that in mind when preparing for your trip to Greece, as it will determine what you should and shouldn’t pack for your vacation.
So, are you excited to start planning your trip to Greece in December or what? It's a once-in-a-lifetime experience, cooler temperatures and all!