- All Greece itineraries should start in Athens, the capital city that boasts a rich cultural and historical background.
- Consider including at least a couple of Greek islands in your itinerary. Popular choices include Santorini, Mykonos, Crete, Rhodes, or Naxos.
- Plan your transportation between destinations in advance.
- Balance your days between sightseeing, relaxation, and exploration.
If you've clicked on this article, you must be considering a trip to Greece. So admit it; it crossed your mind, as it very well should have, and you're looking for the best Greece itinerary for you!
Even a minute in Greece is well spent, so imagine you had a whole week to explore the sun-drenched country of your dreams!
After much deliberation with our travel specialist and with the belief that Greece is the best thing that has ever happened to humanity, we have come up with Greece itineraries for one week that will allow you to enjoy the beauty of Greece, immerse yourself in Greek culture, and do all of the above in no hurry.
Check out some sample Greece itineraries below for 1 week to find what fits you best. And if you want to get insight into what makes a Greece itinerary amazing, take a look at the advice of our travel specialists on our Greece itineraries for 5 nights post.
Let's start our Greece trip with some tips for planning a great holiday!
Quick Tips for Exploring Greece in One Week
- Don't skip Athens. I know it is tempting to leave it out of your Greece itinerary, and all you want to do is sunbathe on a long sandy beach, just like the ones you've seen on social media.
- However, we highly suggest as locals to give Athens a chance and spend at least one day in it to take in its fascinating historical and cultural elements. Not to mention its unmatched urban beauty.
- Choose planes over ferries. It won't make the dent you think in your budget and will save you endless hours of transport; in other words, it will offer you peace of mind.
- For example, Athens, the capital of both Greece, is connected to Santorini and Mykonos by air flight.
- It takes 5-10 hours by boat to go to Santorini, and for Mykonos, it takes anywhere from two to five or six hours.
- However, a flight from Athens International Airport to the Greek islands takes less than an hour.
- Don't try to fit everything in just 7 days. Overstuffing your one week in Greece is another common mistake excited travelers make when they visit Greece.
- Although it is entirely understandable, it is one of the most detrimental to the quality of your Greek vacation.
- We recognize that there are probably countless things you want to do, see, and experience in Greece, but trying to fit everything in just 7 nights will give you nothing but anxiety.
- Our advice would be to restrict yourselves to a maximum of 3 destinations to have the opportunity to explore thoroughly without a rush.
- Trust the expert locals. It is not by accident that Greece is known as one of the most hospitable countries in the world; Hospitality runs in our blood.
- So, imagine those of us that work in hospitality and have made our natural inclination our job.
- Trusting a Greece travel agency will provide you with the expertise of the locals and effortless, carefree planning of your trip to Greece you will delight in!
- For a smoother journey, you'd better book tickets online. And that goes for everything.
- Whether you want to book your flights, accommodation, cultural events, or even make reservations to a restaurant that tickled your fancy, go ahead and do it online.
- It will save you time and effort and safeguard you from unpleasant surprises.
Athens 1 - Santorini 3 - Mykonos 3
The following is a Greece travel itinerary for those who want to experience an Instagram-perfect vacation and visit the most cult-classic Greek destinations. It's perfect for those who are not intimidated by large crowds and want
Start from Athens, where you will visit the Parthenon and the remarkable Archeological Museum and get insight into ancient Greece.
Afterward, visit nearby the little shops on Aiolou Street and discover hidden treasures in the Monastiraki flea market.
Finish the day with cocktails and mezze dishes in the Psyrri neighborhood, known for its killer nightlife.
After a full day in Athens, it is time to delve into the magical world of the Cyclades!
The Cyclades is a complex of Greek islands within the Aegean Sea. This island chain is by far the most popular among tourists and local Greeks, but that shouldn't keep you from exploring it; on the contrary!
Santorini, the island of volcanic ash and romance, will welcome you with striking sunset views in Oia and an amazing hiking opportunity that will allow you to go from Fira to Oia through a scenic landscape full of Cycladic aesthetics and architecture.
Of course, the night calls for a sunset wine experience or a bar-hopping endeavor around Santorini's luxurious entertainment spots.
Your second day in Santorini will be better spent sailing the Aegean, swimming in deep-blue waters, and sunbathing to your heart's content; a boat trip made of dreams.
After falling in love with Santorini, it is time to visit the 'queen of the Cyclades,' Mykonos. Whitewashed street streets and shaded cafés overlooking the blue sea are typical sights.
Snap pictures of the famous Windmills, swim in its amazing beaches, and party all day and night in Mykonos town or the many beach bars that frequent the island.
Of course, a little shopping never hurts anyone, so take advantage of the chance to visit Matogianni Street and shop in one of its local, high-fashion boutiques.
Last but not least, check out our Mykonos food guide to figure out what and where to eat in Mykonos to give your Greek trip a delicious taste.
Please know that all three destinations have airports, so going from one to the other can be as easy as ABC.
Recommended: One night in Athens, 3 nights in Santorini, 3 nights in Mykonos
Ideal for: party extraordinaires, honeymooners with a backbone, and outgoing socialites.
- You will admire the ancient sites of Athens, some of the most famous and gorgeous in the world, such as the Acropolis with the Parthenon, the Propylaia, and the Odeon of Herodes Atticus.
- Visit Athens by night in a highlight or night food tour that will show you around the city's best spots and introduce you to Greek gastronomy and culture.
- Catch the most romantic sunset of your life, looking out to the world-renowned Santorini Caldera.
- Taste the riches of the delicious Santorini wine varieties known since antiquity.
- Admire the Cycladic architecture and aesthetic of Mykonos and Santorini.
- Discover the highlights of Mykonos, visit its picturesque villages, and understand the hype around the famous island.
Athens 2 - Paros 2 - Santorini 3
This is a Greece travel itinerary that will be 'pièce de résistance' for those who want to visit the Cyclades, unravel in Greek nightlife, enjoy romantic scenery, and get a healthy dose of culture.
It goes without saying that your one week in Greece will commence with a couple of days in Athens. This Greek capital has been inspiring artists across the world since ancient times.
The Acropolis and the Parthenon, the Ancient Agora, and the Temple of Poseidon in Sounio are some of the best ancient sites to visit on your Greece itinerary if you're interested in Greek heritage, Ancient Agora.
Ideally, we suggest a Best of Athens highlights tour on day one to get an overview of the city. Then, on your second day, you can choose between a guided Acropolis and Acropolis Museum tour, a food tour, or even a street-art tour of Athens that will introduce you to its alternative side.
After an enlightening visit to Athens, hop on a plane, or board the ferry that will take you to Paros. This striking Cycladic island is adored by young crowds and praised by older ones.
Paros is known for its long sandy and often therapeutic beaches, impeccable beauty, mouthwatering cuisine, and, most importantly, its electrifying nightlife.
Regardless, it can be a destination for relaxation and introspection. Whether you get your hands dirty with a traditional cooking class, explore its landmarks through a few-hour highlights tour, or sail across its coastline and visit theSmall Cyclades islands, you will fall forever in love with the island.
Up next on your Greece itinerary is Santorini. Santorini has been widely acclaimed, and with great reason.
Whitewashed buildings, blue-domed churches, and beautiful sunsets are enough reasons to pack your bags and go there at the first opportunity.
Among the countless things to do, see, and experience on the island, our favorites are:
- The winery tour and wine tasting.
- The sunset cruises.
- The guided tour of the archaeological site of Akrotiri.
- A tour of its volcano and hot springs.
The picturesque surroundings add to a Greece-themed holiday, and Oia sunsets are legendary.
Santorini's beaches might not look as appealing as Paros'; however, they are unique. The black beach of Perissa is excellent for swimming. Alongside the Red Beach, surrounded by plenty of eateries, they are our top picks.
Recommended: 2 nights in Athens, 2 nights in Paros, and 3 nights in Santorini.
Ideal for: families, honeymooners, partygoers, and pretty much everyone.
- Take in Athens' urban aesthetic and rich heritage through as many of our Athens tours as you can fit in a day.
- Enjoy easy and minimal transportation to all three destinations, as they boast airports and are serviced by frequent ferry schedules.
- Swim in the enchanting beaches of Paros, such as Kolympithres, Faraggas, and the exotic Laggeri.
- Visit the church of Ekantotapylliani and look for the church's 100th entrance, which people have been trying to find for hundreds of years.
- Taste the riches of Parian cuisine and learn the best cooking tips from the locals.
- Get awe-struck by the imposing landscape of Santorini and marvel at the colorful Caldera during sunset.
- Sail the Aegean and swim in the cleanest waters you can dive in; nothing will make you more like royalty than a luxurious sailing trip that includes Greek food!
Athens 1 - Naxos 3 - Santorini 3
This is a Greece travel itinerary that is ideal for those who want a little bit of everything without sticking to a particular theme unless you count 'awesomeness' as a theme.
A one-day stop in Athens is mandatory to get a well-rounded image of modern and ancient Greece, its worldview, and its lifestyle. So visit Athens and make sure you get to see its highlights.
Your stay in Athens will allow you to enjoy world-class museums and awe-inspiring ancient sites, like the Acropolis, with the famous Parthenon temple.
You can also visit famous and fascinating landmarks of the Greek capital, such as the Panathenaic Stadium or 'Kallimarmaro,' as the locals call it. Previously, the Panathenaic Stadium was a modern Olympic venue and was entirely constructed of marble.
At night, discover Greek culture through a night food tour and wine-tasting experience. The ideal way to combine the best of Greek culture and warm up for your wine endeavor is Santorini.
Staying on the theme of Greek food, your next destination will take you to Naxos, the Cycladic island of luscious nature, fantastic cuisine, and long beaches.
Finding an offbeat destination among the Cyclades islands is close to impossible. Still, Naxos combines relaxation with an energetic lifestyle like no other Greek island can.
Take a Naxos highlights tour on your first day on the island to get to know the place. Then, at night, you can opt for a Naxos Castle and Portara private sunset walking tour to immerse yourself in the island's history and romance.
For your final day, we highly recommend a Naxos sailing trip to the Small Cyclades that will make you feel like a Hollywood star in the middle of the Aegean Sea.
The final destination of your Greek island hopping trip will be Santorini, which offers some of the most ancient wonders, highlighted with stunning beaches and volcano landscapes.
On your first day, take a highlights tour showing you the places you want to explore in depth later. Then, at night, there is no better option than a Santorini Sunset Wine Experience, which includes visits to Santorini's wineries and a fantastic wine-tasting experience.
On your second day, delve into the island's history with a guided tour of the archaeological site of Akrotiri.
You will be hungry at the end of your experience, so a Santorini Private Cooking Class and Wine Tasting will be precisely what you need! If not, you can put a romantic twist into your evening with an idyllic Santorini sunset catamaran cruise.
On your third and final day, you can indulge in a bespoke Santorini tour made just for you to explore the elements of Santorini you have always dreamed of.
There is no doubt that with this trip, even the most demanding travelers will be left speechless!
Recommended: One night in Athens, 3 nights in Naxos, and 3 nights in Santorini.
Ideal for: families, couples in love, foodies, and wine connoisseurs.
- You will visit Athens and admire its most significant landmarks and historical sites on guided tours with local, licensed experts.
- Enjoy the riches of Greek cuisine through walking food tours across Athens, Naxos, and Santorini.
- Taste the most exquisite varieties of local wine in all destinations, especially Santorini, known for its delicious wine production since antiquity.
- Sail the Aegean Sea in luxury and comfort and swim in water you couldn't swim in any other way.
- Get to know the locals' lifestyle, mingle with the crowds and have a genuine, unforgettable experience.
- Explore the Cyclades in an offbeat, original way.
- Marvel at the amazing landscapes of lusciously green Naxos and volcanic Santorini; both will be the perfect backdrop for your Greek vacation photos.
Athens 1 - Naxos 3 - Crete 3
This is the ultimate Greece travel itinerary for gourmands, Greek history fans, and people who love spending time in diverse destinations that will not allow boredom, not even for a second.
No trip to Greece is complete without at least one night spent in the Greek capital. After all, the Greek islands are not going anywhere; there is no reason to hurry!
After a night in Athens, your exploration of the Greek islands begins!
Your first stop in your one week in Greece will be Naxos, where you will spend 3 nights drenched in turquoise waters, delicious flavors, amazing sights, and greenery.
Take a walking tour of Naxos Old Town at sunset and admire the imposing Naxos Portara as soon as you reach the island.
You can dedicate your second day on the island to food and local Greek products. Take on a cooking class, join a food tour, or combine history and Naxian cuisine on an Old Town Flavors tour.
Keeping the best for last, sail the Agegean waters and swim in the waters of the Small Cyclades in an idyllic landscape you will never forget.
Crete, the biggest island, is south of the rest of mainland Greece and is positioned along the Mediterranean. It is a diverse destination with all types of beaches, villages, landscapes, accommodations, and entertainment choices.
Immerse yourself in the rich history of Crete with a guided tour of Knossos Palace and the Heraklion Archaeological Museum, and see the Minoan civilization come to life through the storytelling of your licensed guide on day one.
Following your educational visit, and since you'll be in the region, an Hearklion for foodies tour will reveal Cretan cuisine at its best and allow you to walk around the streets of Heraklion and take in the local culture.
Your second day on the magical island can include a tour of 7 Cretan villages that will show you around off-the-beaten-path locations and spots no tourist knows about.
Alternatively, you can indulge in a Cretan wine and olive tour to learn and taste everything about the two local products that gained worldwide popularity and recognition or a cooking class that will let you in on the tips and tricks of Greek cooking.
The final day of this all-encompassing Greece itinerary can find you celebrating life through Traditional Cretan Dancing Lesson and Lunch. So dance your troubles away and taste mouthwatering Cretan creations as a farewell to this fantastic experience!
Recommended: One night in Athens, 3 nights in Naxos, 3 nights in Crete
Ideal for: families, history buffs, and lovers of high-quality Mediterranean cuisine.
- Get enlightened by the rich culture and historical heritage of Athens.
- Stroll the most scenic Athens neighborhoods and get a feel for the lifestyle of its locals.
- Swim in the crystal-clear beaches of Naxos, which lie among green landscapes and inspire relaxation.
- Taste the local products of Naxos that have gained worldwide recognition in local recipes.
- Dare to swim in waters only a few people get to on a Naxos sailing trip to the Small Cyclades.
- Dance and eat like a local Cretan and get introduced to Cretan culture in the most fun way possible.
- Explore the traditional villages of Crete and experience firsthand the Greek hospitality that has its roots in ancient history.
Athens 3 with a Delphi day trip- Nafplio 2 with day trips - Crete 2
This is the best Greece travel itinerary for those who want to visit alternative destinations, indulge in a day trip or two, explore mainland Greece, and learn as much as possible about Greek history and culture.
This Greece itinerary features 3 nights spent in Athens for a good reason, as it includes a day trip to a mystifying destination!
You will have two days to visit the city's historical sites, such as the Acropolis, the Ancient Agora, the Roman Agora, and the Temple of Zeus.
You will wander around the busy streets and try local delicacies that will make you reconsider what you've known about food.
However, remember that you can also visit mainland Greece, and specifically one of its mythological regions, on this Greece itinerary. On the third day, take a day trip to Delphi and watch the history of the 'naval of the earth' unfold before your eyes.
A guided tour around the archaeological site of Delphi, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, will reveal a lot about Greek history and Greek Mythology.
Leaving Athens, your 4th night will find you in Nafplio, arguably Greece's most scenic and idyllic town.
This seaside town offers romantic walks around the narrow streets, where you can admire Venetian architecture and see the remnants of past civilizations.
Along with a visit to Bourtzi and the Castle of Palamidi, during your visit to Nafplio, you can schedule a sailing trip to swim in the deep-blue sea and see the magical landscape from afar, sunbathing under the bright Greek sun.
They are all relatively close and will offer valuable insight into Greek heritage. Not to mention that they are stunning.
For your final stop, you will leave mainland Greece, and you won't visit just any Greek island but the largest and most diverse one, Crete.
During your 2 nights there, explore its many regions, particularly Heraklion and Chania.
Indulge in tasty food tours, fascinating archaeological tours, fun cooking classes, and joyous dance lessons!
Alternatively, you can take a day trip around Crete's traditional villages and engage in meaningful conversation with the hospitable locals.
Recommended: 3 nights in Athens, 2 nights in Nafplio, and 2 nights in Crete.
Ideal for: families, honeymooners with an eye for history, history buffs, and connoisseurs of food.
- Spend enough days in Athens to see everything this fascinating city offers, from archaeological sites, museums, and galleries to the local nightlife and trendy lifestyle.
- Marvel at the archaeological site of Delphi and see the myths come to life through the narration of your licensed guide.
- Let romance seep into your heart with a visit to scenic Nafplio, a gem of the Greek mainland you should make a point to experience when you visit Greece.
- To dig deeper into ancient history, take a day trip to Epidaurus, Ancient Corinth, and Myceane.
- Visit Crete's most popular regions and browse its landmarks.
- Taste the traditional dishes of Cretan cuisine through a food tour or a traditional cooking lesson.
- Learn the steps of the most famous Greek and Cretan circular dances and dance like a local!
- Indulge in a luxurious sailing trip that will be nothing as you've ever experienced before!
See more here.
Athens 1 - Santorini 3 - Crete 3
This is a Greece travel itinerary for those who want to enjoy scenic landscapes and incredible Greek food and explore the Greek island lifestyle.
Your one-week trip starts in Athens, a city with a mythical background. Temples and historic markets clash alongside bustling flea markets and contemporary cuisine.
Take on an adventure of mythological exploration which takes us around the Temple of Olympian Zeus, the Ancient and Roman Agora, and the cemetery of Kerameikos.
You can take on a Sounio & Temple of Poseidon Sunset Excursion with a Swimming Stop for an amazing afternoon adventure. You will admire Athens Riviera, swim in its coastline, marvel at an ancient temple during sunset, and enjoy mesmerizing views.
Your next stop will be the mysterious Santorini, known for its imposing volcanic landscapes, wine production, and sunset the famous Caldera offers. Spend two days taking in the wondrous views and enjoying the lush wine in every one of its establishments.
To fill your days with fun things to do, you can join a creative cooking class, take a highlights tour that will show you around the best of what the island has to offer, indulge in a wine-tasting experience, or put a romantic twist to your vacation with a sunset cruise.
At night, you can discover the vibrant Santorini nightlife by bar hopping around its luxurious bars and closing the night (or early morning) with lots of dance in one of the island's famous clubs.
Last on your one week in Greece itinerary will be Crete, the big island with an even bigger heart that will swoon you with its locals' hospitality and unique flavors.
While its sheer size makes exploring it in just 3 nights a demanding task, it can be done easily if you stick to two of its regions: Chania and Heraklion.
From exploring the impressive archaeological site of Knossos Palace alongside a licensed guide to eating and drinking your heart's content on a Heraklion food tour or a Chania wine and olive oil tour, your senses and mind will be thanking you for sure!
Our top recommendation would be to join a traditional Cretan dancing lesson and lunch that will keep your spirits high and immerse you into the Cretan nightlife one dance figure at a time!
Recommended: One night in Athens, 3 nights in Santorini, 3 nights in Crete.
Ideal for: Love birds, wine connoisseurs, and Greek culture enthusiasts.
- Visit Athens, Greece's capital city, for one day and meet its most remarkable sights. From Areopagitou Street to Monastiraki Square, this urban beauty calls for a walk around the historical center.
- Snap the most amazing Instagram photos with a backdrop of Santorini's Caldera, and make your friends green with envy.
- Taste delicious creations of Greek, Santorinian, and Cretan cuisine, and see for yourself why the Mediterranean has been attributed not only as one of the healthiest diets in the world but also as one of the tastiest!
- Embark on a sailing adventure that will allow you to escape the summer crowds, offering you a unique experience of swimming in crystal-clear waters that are untouched.
- Admire history through archaeological sites such as the Acropolis, the Temple of Poseidon, and Knossos Palace.
- Taste the traditional dishes of Cretan cuisine through a food tour or a traditional cooking lesson.
- Learn the steps of the most popular Greek and Cretan circular dances and dance like a local!
- Indulge in a luxurious sailing trip that will be nothing as you've ever experienced before!
Greece is always the right choice. Discover the best local treasures in a weeklong Greece itinerary filled with old wonders and beautiful shorelines with wine from local vineyards and gourmet dishes.
Choose one of the amazing Greece itineraries above and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is 1 week long enough for Greece?
While ideally, the more you stay in Greece, the better, with a 1-month trip being the absolute dream.
One week in Greece is plenty to see at least a couple of destinations, experience authentic Greek culture, and return home with a full heart.
How to plan 7 days in Greece?
Well, that's easy. Either follow the advice our travel specialists put together or contact our team directly and start planning your one-week trip to Greece from scratch.
Which Greek island to visit in 7 days?
While all Greek islands are bewitching, if we had to pick some for your one week in Greece, we would suggest you choose between Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, Naxos, and Paros.
They represent the quintessential Greek essence, and their striking beauty will steal your hearts!