There is no better way to spend your vacation days than in Greece, with the sunshine putting you in the right mood for adventures, leisure, and heaps of fun.
Nevertheless, planning the best trip to Greece that will cater to your needs and desires and making the right choices, especially regarding which destinations you will visit, is difficult. In fact, it is so demanding that we couldn't help but help you out.
For that reason, we have consulted our expert team of local travel specialists and have come up with the best itineraries for your trip to Greece with a duration of 5 nights:
Athens & Santorini
This is a 5-day Greece itinerary for those who want to experience the most cult-classic aspect of Greece, the ones who want to understand the hype around this beautiful country and see its essentials in a week.
In fact, this would be the ideal trip for a couple on their honeymoon or romantic getaway, as there are only a few things more fairy-tale-esque than a 5-night stay in Athens and Santorini.
The Greek capital is brimful of cultural stimuli, cosmopolitan diversity, and countless things to do and see from the first few hours of the morning until late at night.
At the same time, Santorini, the island of sunsets and wine, with its trademark Cycladic aesthetic and striking views of the famous volcano, is bound to steal your breath and make you wonder why you didn’t pull the trigger on that trip to Greece sooner.
While both destinations are favored by tourists worldwide, who never miss a chance for Greek island hopping, this doesn't have to mean that your experience has to be touristy.
On the contrary, depending on when you choose to visit Athens and Santorini and how you want to spend your time at both destinations, you will have the opportunity to experience the best of what Greece offers in a magical setting.
Recommended: Two nights in Athens and two nights in Santorini.
Ideal for: Honeymooners and couples in love.
- Admire the rich heritage of Athens by exploring its most significant archaeological sites, such as the Acropolis, the Athenian and Roman Agora, and the Temple of Poseidon in Sounio.
- Explore the scrumptious flavors of food in Greece that have put it atop culinary destinations worldwide with day or night food tours led by local guides in offbeat city spots that will allow you to taste much more than a Greek salad.
- Take in the unmatched urban aesthetic of Athens through long walks across the streets of the Greek capital that will give you insight into Greek culture and everyday life.
- Catch the most magical sunset of your life overlooking the famous Santorini Caldera and watch the explosion of colors enchant everyone who witnesses it.
- Taste the best varieties of Santorini’s wine production through a wine-tasting experience that will teach you all there is to know about Greek wine.
- Sail the stunning deep blue waters of the Aegean sea on a fun and relaxing sailing adventure that will allow you to swim in impeccable waters that have been untouched and achieve the flawless tan you’ve always lusted after.
- Stroll the cobblestone streets from one region of Santorini to another and marvel at the famous blue-dome churches and signature Cycladic architecture. A picture of at least one famous church is mandatory!
Athens & Mykonos
This is a perfect travel plan for those who want to experience the cosmopolitan and party side of Greece, a part of Greece that has been advertised globally and has made the island of Mykonos rant at the top of party destinations.
This 5-day Greece itinerary checks all the boxes for party animals and world travelers who want to experience Greece's wild and cultured face.
There, is an endless supply of cultural stimuli and parties one can experience when staying for five days in Athens and Mykonos.
As previously mentioned, besides its significant Greek ruins and fascinating museums, Athens has an excellent nightlife full of things to do that could fill a lifetime.
Of course, that also stands true for Mykonos, known for its never-ending parties that last all day and night, with loud music, a wide variety of alcoholic beverages, and no limits.
That being said, Mykonos is not just a party island; it is a beautiful Greek island with stunning both vigorous and quiet beaches, mouthwatering food, cultural sites, and the fantastic isle of Delos, which is one of the most important archaeological sites in all of Greece.
Regardless of the fame both Athens and Mykonos have gained for their popularity and intensity of lifestyle, depending on what you’re after, you can have a relaxing and serene experience in both places that can offer you a stress-free vacation, where lying on the beach is the most active thing you will do.
Recommended: Two nights in Athens and three nights in Mykonos.
Ideal for: Party animals and world travelers.
- Visit the most striking archaeological sites and museums in Athens, such as the Acropolis hill, the Ancient Agora, the Temple of Poseidon in Sounio, and the Acropolis Museum.
- Join an Athens food tour during the day or at night with a wine-tasting experience and get introduced to the culinary culture o Greece through shops and eateries that stay under the radar in the tastiest way possible.
- Enjoy the Athenian nightlife by spending your nights in the Greek capital's many trendy bars and clubs in the center of the city or the Athens Riviera.
- Party all day and all night long in one of Mykonos’ famous beach bars and feel the sun on your skin the way you’ve always wanted!
- Stroll Mykonos’ cobblestone alleys and enjoy a shopping spree on the busy Matogianni Street while admiring the Cycladic architecture of the region.
- Indulge in a sailing adventure that will take you to the historical neighboring island of Delos and allow you a fun swimming stop in the crystal-clear waters of Rhenia.
- Get up close and personal with Mykonos’ traditional cuisine through a cooking class that will give you insight into Greek food and teach you essential tips and tricks the locals use for their daily diet.
Athens & Naxos
This is the perfect Greece itinerary for those who want to taste world-renowned Greek cuisine, get immersed in history, and admire the luscious landscapes of the Greek land.
With this Greece itinerary, you will get the best of both worlds, as you will experience the vibrancy of the Greek capital and the tranquillity of a Cycladic island that is perfect for family vacations.
Athens’ diversity and Naxos’ serenity make for a laid-back holiday of a lifetime that offers precious moments of relaxation and won’t lack in things to experience and admire.
From the Acropolis hill that dominates the Greek capital and the one-of-a-kind museums scattered all around the city to the famous marble gate of Portara in Naxos and the magical villages that give Naxos an unmatched old-time charm, this 5-day Greece itinerary will enchant you and make you leave the country with a promise to come back at the first opportunity.
Get your culture on when visiting Athens by joining comprehensive tours of the Greek capital that will show you the best of the city effortlessly and efficiently. Stroll the city’s buzzing streets, and get a glimpse of Greek culture through interactions with its locals.
Since Naxos is known for its local products, such as its production of cheese and potatoes, don’t skip the chance to indulge in food-related experiences when spending time on the island. Another must is to visit Naxos’ offbeat island, like Apeiranthos, where you will witness the everyday life of the locals and mingle with them in the traditional coffee shops.
A 5-day trip to Athens and Naxos is all you could ask for and then some!
Recommended: Two nights in Athens and three nights in Naxos.
Ideal for: Families and people who want to get a well-rounded experience in a more relaxed environment than not many Greek islands offer, especially in the Cyclades.
- Take guided tours of Athens’ most essential archaeological sites, such as the Acropolis and its modern museum. Even better, indulge in an Acropolis for families guided tour that will keep your little ones engaged and entertained.
- Get a taste of Athens through food tours around the city's streets alongside a local guide that will share stories and help you understand the integral role of gastronomy in Greek culture.
- Get a quick overview of the fascinating landmarks of Athens through a ‘best of Athens’ tour that will take you around Athens in comfort and luxury.
- Catch the most amazing sunsets of your life by strolling the streets of Naxos, leading to the famous marble Portara.
- Get a hands-on traditional cooking lesson using a wood fire to create some of the most delicious cult-classic local recipes.
- Sail the Aegean sea and marvel at the deep-blue water of Naxos and the Small Cyclades while enjoying the sun on your skin and refreshing dives.
- Explore Naxos's heritage and culinary scene through a tour around Naxos’ charming old town that will introduce you to both.
Athens & Crete
This is the perfect travel plan for history buffs and dedicated food lovers.
Spend 5 days in the two Greek regions with the most distinguished history and culture, and leave nothing to be desired from your Greek vacation regarding food and sights.
Spending time in the Greek capital is essential; its archaeological sites, fascinating landmarks, high-spirited entertainment scene, and the abundance of choices in just about everything are lures one cannot ignore.
At the same time, Crete, the largest island in Greece, is not only a sight to behold but also a Greek island that manages to compete with the biggest cities in Greece regarding its diversity in things to do and see, as well as its freedom of choice.
From experiencing the renowned Cretan cuisine through food tours and cooking classes and exploring its traditional villages to experiencing a guided tour of Knossos Palace and the Heraklion Archaeological Museum, Crete will leave nothing but the sweetest taste in your mouth.
While both are two of the most popular Greek destination, they maintain an authenticity that is difficult to come across.
At the same time, their sheer size works to their advantage, offering their visitors a unique experience without subjecting them to overcrowded places and overwhelming experiences.
This 5-day Greece itinerary is also ideal for adrenaline junkies and lovers of hiking, as in Crete, you can set on the biggest hiking adventure of your life by crossing the Samaria Gorge, a National Park of Greece since 1962.
The gorge is 16 km long, a major tourist attraction of the island, and a World's Biosphere Reserve.
If you’re looking for fun, food, fascination, and a little island hopping against a Greek background, look no further!
Well, maybe look a bit further, actually, as far as the different ferry schedules that are the most convenient.
Recommended: Two nights in Athens and three nights in Crete.
Ideal for: History buffs, foodies, and hiking fans.
- Visit the most striking historic sites and museums of Athens, such as the Acropolis hill, the Ancient Agora, the Temple of Poseidon in Sounio, and the Acropolis Museum.
- Get a taste of Athens in just a few hours with a highlights tour that will give you a rough idea of why the Greek capital is surrounded by so much hype.
- Stroll the streets of the most beautiful Athens neighborhoods, and choose one of the many good restaurants or bars that will allow you to mingle with the locals and take in a truly authentic experience of everyday life.
- Get introduced to the Athenian Rivera and snap a few photos of Athens’ coastline at sunset.
- Browse the traditional villages of Crete, meet the locals, and get treated to the most delicious Cretan food.
- Join a cooking class to learn the secrets behind the world-famous Cretan cuisine, a staple for lovers of the Mediterranean diet.
- Let history unfold before your eyes with a guided tour of the archaeological site of Knossos and learn all the myths behind history.
- Hike Samaria Gorge, the longest gorges in Greece, and marvel at Cretan nature up close.
Athens & Nafplio (including day trips)
This 5-day Greece travel itinerary is ideal for those who want to experience the urban aesthetic of Athens and its vast heritage without sacrificing the precious beauty of the Greek countryside.
It is perfect for those who want to admire the archeological and ancient sites that Greece is famous for while indulging in the cosmopolitan aesthetic of two of its cities: Athens and Nafplio.
Take in the age-old history of Greece, apparent in every nook and crevice of its capital, and visit as many Greek ruins as possible during your stay in Athens.
See the Acropolis hill, the Athenian and Roman Agora, the Temple of Zeus, and the Temple of Poseidon, and learn the mythical tales that surround them.
Extend your knowledge of Greek mythology and history with a day trip to Delphi, the ‘naval of the earth,’ as ancient Greeks called it.
The archaeological site of Delphi is one of the most impressive in Greece, and a guided tour around its premises will reveal to you a world of history and magic.
After staying in Athens for two days, your next adventure will take you to Nafplio for a 3-night stay. Most consider Nafplio the most romantic city in Greece; we cannot disagree.
The striking Venetian architecture of this seaside town makes it a fabulous destination for couples in love who want to catch the sunset from Boutzi and Palamidi, the two fortresses that have enriched Nafplio with mesmerizing tales of modern Greek history.
Of course, you cannot let the fact that Nafplio is a seaside town go to waste. For that reason, you can take on a sailing adventure and swim in waters that are so clean they look drinkable!
While a small town like Nafplio is not ideal for more than a day unless you take advantage of all the regions nearby that can offer you day trips to spice up your stay.
Take day trips to Olympia, Epidaurus with its ancient amphitheater, Mycenae, Nemea, and Ancient Corinth, and explore mainland Greece the way it deserves to be.
Regardless of the fame both Athens and Mykonos have gained for their popularity and intensity of lifestyle, depending on what you’re after, you can have a relaxing and serene experience in both places.
They can offer you a stress-free vacation, where lying on the beach is the most active thing you will do. Beach time is precious, and the beautiful beaches in Greece are too many to ignore!
Recommended: Two nights in Athens and three nights in Nafplio.
Ideal for: Families, lovebirds, and lovers of history and architecture.
- Witness the remnants of history prominent throughout the Greek Capital, and visit sought-after sites like the Acropolis and the Acropolis Museum.
- Browse the streets of Athens, and get to know Athens neighborhoods, culinary scene, and everyday life.
- Escape the hustle and bustle of the big city with a day trip to Delphi, the UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its striking archaeological site and connection to Greek mythology.
- Take in the aristocratic ambiance of Nafplio, and admire the charming Venetian architecture that adds a fairy tale element to the town.
- Enjoy day trips from Nafplio to one of the gorgeous nearby destinations, such as Olympia, Epidaurus, Mycenae, Nemea, and Corinth. Each region has its own allure and will enhance your Greek vacation with a unique element you never knew you needed.
- Indulge in a sailing adventure in Nafplio. The perfect activity for the most romantic city in Greece!
- Explore the Greek countryside and admire the lusciously green landscapes of the mainland. Visit destinations that stay under the radar mostly, and experience a side of Greece only a few visitors do.
Athens - Mykonos - Santorini
This is the ultimate 5-day Greece itinerary for travelers who want to discover the hype around Greece by visiting the country’s most popular destinations.
It is perfect for those who want to party, enjoy sunset drinks worth a few dollars (or euros), the Cycladic aesthetic that has graced the covers of magazines time after time, and partake in everything they’ve seen on social media.
You can’t go wrong with a typical Greek summer vacation that includes the capital city and the most recognized Cycladic islands.
While the eagerness to get to the celebrated Greek islands is understandable, a one-night stop in Athens is necessary.
In just one day, you can get a glimpse of the very best of the city with a highlights tour that will fit in just a few hours the most significant parts of Greek history and culture.
This way, your night will be free for you to enjoy in the city by strolling the streets and mixing with the locals or by joining a night food tour with a wine-tasting experience introducing you to Greek wine production.
After your essential stay n Athens, it will be time to take over Mykonos, the ‘queen of the Cyclades’ that will make you feel like royalty.
Its luxurious lifestyle and striking, picturesque streets will steal your heart. At the same time, its never-ending nightlife and the sense of freedom they offer will make you understand why it ranks at the top of party destinations worldwide.
From a highlights tour to a cooking lesson, a sailing adventure, or even a Jeep Safari, Mykonos will be everything you’ve ever dreamt of and then some.
After letting your hair down in Mykonos, there is no better place to visit than Santorini. This more laid-back Cycladic island has the same opulent character as Mykonos but also includes a heart-stopping volcanic landscape, unimaginably pretty sunsets, and a wine production that will make lovers of wine ecstatic.
Walk the cobblestone alleys and admire the blue-dome churches you have seen in thousands of Instagram posts.
Enjoy the best photo backdrop you can find before exploring the island and getting acquainted with its delicious local wine varieties.
This 5-night “Greek essentials” trip will be an experience you will daydream about long after your return home.
Recommended: One night in Athens, two nights in Mykonos, and two nights in Santorini.
Ideal for: Social butterflies, party enthusiasts, and lovers of wine.
- Get a whiff of Athens’ best-known spots revealing the country's heritage without using a rental car.
- Spend your evening in the capital city by walking the busy streets and indulging in traditional Greek flavors that provoke a new enthusiasm for Greek cuisine.
- Admire the famous Windmills of Mykonos, and get an overview of the island with a highlights tour that will make you feel like a local in no time.
- Sail across the deep-blue waters of Mykonos and swim in crystal-clear waters in a luxurious setting that will leave nothing to be desired.
- Put your party shoes on, and expire the wild nightlife of Mykonos with a party in Mykonos town or one of the many fantastic beach bars on the island, such as the one on Super Paradise Beach.
- Catch the most idyllic sunset you’ve ever experienced at the unnerving Santorini Caldera, and see the colors of the sky explode.
- Taste indigenous wine varieties and learn about the age-old Santorini wine production.
- Hike from Fira to Oia and admire the Cycladic architecture everyone loves to photograph; getting your daily exercise in never sounded more tempting.
Athens - Santorini - Crete
This Greece travel itinerary will offer the perfect 5 nights one can spend in Greece if they’re after a sophisticated experience that includes the country’s highlights, trips to two amazing Greek islands, and a lot of food!
Starting with a quick stay in Athens, you can dip your toe in the most fascinating aspects of the Greek capital, which are infamously its history, culture, nightlife, and gastronomy.
Fit in a day, a visit to the Acropolis and the Acropolis Museum, a walk around the landmarks of Athens, a tour of its vibrant streets, and a tasting of its delicious cuisine.
After your stay in your Greek capital, take the ferry to Santorini. This volcanic island amazes its visitors with its eerie ambiance, indulgent wine productions, awe-inspiring Caldera, Cycladic architecture, and mesmerizing sunsets.
Stroll the streets of Santorini and take in the unparalleled luxurious atmosphere it exudes. You can opt for a wine tour including wine tasting, a Santorini cooking class, a sailing endeavor, or a tour customized to your needs.
No matter what you go for, you will fall in love with Santorini and get ready to visit one more gorgeous Greek island, the largest Greek island, Crete.
Your stay in Crete will be nothing short of spectacular, similar to the island itself. Explore its regions, from Chania to Heraklion and everything in between.
Get accustomed to its locals' heavy accent, mouthwatering cuisine, and local culture that will sweep you off your feet.
From a traditional dancing lesson to a wine and olive oil tasting, a tour of its best villages, and a traditional cooking class, the island has more to offer than you ever thought possible!
Of course, you cannot leave Crete without visiting the incredible archaeological site of Knossos, home to one of the oldest civilizations; it is a sight to behold, making a guided walking tour of its premises a must.
Regardless of your preferences and age, this 5-night stay in Athens, Santorini, and Crete will allow you to get to know Greece from the inside out in the most fun and delicious way possible, and with a healthy dose of island hopping.
Recommended: One night in Athens, two nights in Santorini, and two nights in Crete.
Ideal for: Sophisticated travelers, history buffs, and foodies.
- Explore Athens in a day through fun Athens tours and walks around the city center that will allow you to get a feel of the local culture.
- Marvel at the imposing Santorini caldera while watching one of the glorious sunsets the island is known for, and learn about its volcanic past.
- Taste the most delicious varieties of Santorinian wine through a half-day wine tour, including a tasting experience that will highlight your Greek vacation.
- Explore the regions of Crete and get introduced to the island’s hospitable locals with a tour of 7 Cretan villages that show an offbeat, original side of the Greek island.
- Get your cardio on by joining a traditional Cretan dance lesson, and enjoy a Cretan feast as a reward.
- Discover the local products the Cretan land generously offers its inhabitants and visitors, such as local wine and olive oil, often called ‘liquid gold’ through a walking food tour.
- Learn about ancient Greece and the history of Crete through a guided tour of the archaeological site of Knossos that includes a visit to the Heraklion Archaeological Museum.
- Alternatively, you can combine the utile with the dulci, with a tour that combines a Cretan food tour with a visit to Knossos Palace.
Are 5 nights enough for a Greek vacation?
While the more days you spend in Greece, the marrier, and 10 days in Greece would be a dream come true, 5 nights is a perfectly good time to be spending on your vacation, as it gives you the opportunity to explore at least a couple of Greek destinations and take in the local culture without rushing through the sites at the speed of sound.
When should I visit Greece?
Although our guide to the best time to visit Greece and the Greek islands says it all, we'll give you some spoilers.
If your visit includes trips to the stunning islands, spring, early summer, and early autumn are the best times to make your vacation a reality.
However, if the places you want to visit are restricted to the Greek mainland, such as central Greece, you can also put winter in the game, as Greece, in winter and the off-season in general, has its own allure and beauty.
Greece is incredibly beautiful. This warm land is perfect for relaxing at the beach or swimming in the chilly sea.
The country of culture and historical heritage is captivating. It's an amazing place to visit, and a simple walk along these cobble-stone streets will prove you just that.
In fact, it is perfect for staying for the entirety of the summer. However, because we know this is unrealistic, we hope these 5-night Greece itineraries inspired you to start planning your trip to Greece.
Pick a Greece itinerary that better suits you, and you're ready. We can't wait to welcome you!
You can also check out the rest of our Greece itineraries, with suggestions on how to spend one week, two weeks, or 10 days in Greece!